Title: To Life and General Insurers (Including Standalone Health Insurers)
Reference No.: IRDA/SDD/MISC/CIR/204/08/2017
Clarification on Aadhaar based e-KYC
1. Authority vide circular dated 21st October, 2013 and AML Master Circular dated 28th September, 2015 allowed Aadhaar based e-KYC service offered by UIDAI for KYC verification.
2. It is hereby clarified that for accessing the details of the client from UIDAI for identification and authentication shall be with the consent of the client on a voluntary basis.
3. UIDAI has issued Aadhaar (Authentication) Regulations, 2016 inter alia prescribing the procedure for e-KYC authentication of Aadhaar Number.
4. In view of the above Regulations, Insurers shall perform the verification of the client through “e-KYC authentication facility” provided by UIDAI i.e. authentication through biometric authentication (fingerprint or iris scanning) and/or through One Time password (OTP) received on client’s mobile number or on e-mail address registered with UIDAI.
5. The information downloaded from UIDAI shall be considered as sufficient information for the purpose of KYC verification.
6. In case material difference is observed either in the name or photograph in Aadhaar is not clear, the Insurer shall carryout additional due diligence and maintain a record of the additional documents sought pursuant to such due diligence.
7. The records of KYC information so received shall be maintained by the Insurers as per PML Rules, 2005 (amended from time to time) and the Authority’s Circular/Guidelines on AML/CFT.
8. This circular is issued in exercise of the powers conferred under Section 14 (1) of the IRDA Act, 1999.
A. Venkateswara Rao General Manager (SDD)